Friday, March 27, 2009

Welcoming Dad Home

With my husband's job, there are certain instances when he has to be away for extended amounts of time. It has been awhile since this has happened, so I knew the time would come soon. This week he had to go to a school to go to a few hours away, which meant that he was gone from Tuesday morning until Thursday around 4pm. This wasn't as long as it usually is, but he was gone, nonetheless.



These schools, oftentimes are incredibly tiring, and I knew he had a long drive home making him even more tired. I didn't want him to feel overwhelmed when he finally did make it home.

I knew he was coming home yesterday, so I made sure to have all (or most) of the unnecessary clutter picked up and everything put back in it's place. II wanted our home to be a refreshing spot for him, instead of being bombarded with the norm. I also made sure that I had all the prep work done for our dinner and I had no duties that were calling my name so that I had a little bit of free time.



Willie and I don't get a lot of time to ourselves anymore, since we live far away from family and friends. So, we try to make the most of it when we can "get away". When he made it home, we took a walk down to the garden, hand in hand, and talked until we were interrupted by the gardener.



Although it didn't last but maybe 10 minutes--it felt so much longer than that. It was rejuvenating and a definite finer thing.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet! My hubby and I try to have coffee time each afternoon when he gets home. We talk about the day, unwind, and sometimes there's nothing to talk about and we just enjoy being with each other. In the summer time we love to take strolls in the garden or weed in the cool of the evening together and that is a blessed time of fellowship. FOr sure a finer thing!

Amy @ Finer Things said...

Awww, good for you to make the most of that 10 minutes! I'm glad he's home safely.

Abbi said...

It is nice to squeeze those together times in whenever possible. :-)

Kristina said...

Don't you just love those little moments. Sometimes I think those are better than moments that last hours.

We are wanting to start a garden this year as well. We close on a house on Tuesday. It's going to be such a loooong move. It's up the street two houses! LOL. You and Willie and the kids will have to come over sometime. Although it's probably our turn to visit you.

JessieLeigh said...

Aw, very sweet!

Isn't it such a treat to go hand-in-hand with the man you love? When we walk around our property with our kids, sometimes my son holds his sister's hand and Daddy holds mine... always feels just so "right".

Glad he's home safe to you now!