Thursday, May 7, 2009

Celebrating My Mom

It's Mother's Day on Sunday, and I'm going to celebrate with my Mom, and she doesn't even know it yet! Oh does it ever feel good to say that. We are driving up to my hometown to surprise our mom's.



My mom and I go back 26 ahem almost 27 years. But, I've never appreciated her more or valued our relationship more than what I do now. After all, we've been there, done that, went through it.



You see, growing up, my mom and I were close. Especially close in High School. We talked all the time, and she always humored me. Although I know now that it was her way of keeping tabs on me and keeping me home, she allowed me to have a get together for every imaginable or any made up holiday I could come up with. She made amazing amounts of appetizers and meals and stay up way past bed time to entertain me and my friends. I loved it. My friends loved it. We loved her and my Dad (who was right in on the action always cracking jokes or picking on us).



Shortly after my high school graduation, I made some choices that my parents didn't agree with. I went in a direction that they didn't like and mine and my mom's relationship became very strained. Strained so much so that we didn't talk for about a year (I think a little over).



We started our relationship anew and off we went as normal for the next 2½ years to 2003. Tragedy struck my family.



My relatively healthy father passed away unexpectedly in his sleep. It rocked our world into tiny little bits. My mother was distraught, I was distraught, and our relationship crumbled. Again.



But, this Mother's Day, I am celebrating her. How she has overcame darkness. How we have overcome hurt. How we have grown together. How we will grow together. And how nothing is going to get in between me and my mother. Ever again.



This Earthly life is too short. Celebrate your Mom. Celebrate those Finer Things.

5 comments:

Megan said...

God Bless you and your mom. Thanks for sharing your story.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Beautiful post. I find that my relationship with my mom grows better year by year.

Cathy said...

That was beautiful Phoebe. absolutely beautiful.
I hope you have a wonderful time!

Amy @ Finer Things said...

All of these mom stories have me in tears. You are so right; life's too short to let anything get in the way of our relationships.

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi Phoebe,

Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
site!! Amen & amen! :)

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•